In a move seen as an attempt by the ‘Big Three’ of world cricket (India, England and Australia cricket boards) to counter the International Cricket Board’s (ICC) plans. Also, to add an additional 50-overs world event to the next ICC Future Tours Programme. However, plans are afoot to organize an annual quadrangular limited-overs series involving India, England, Australia. Also, another team, from 2021 onwards. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly had revealed plans for such a tournament last week. England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) confirmed the move on Monday.
“We meet regularly with other leaders from the major cricketing nations to share learnings and discuss topics that impact our sport. A four-nation tournament raised at a meeting with the BCCI in December. However, we are open to discussions with other ICC members to see if this concept can develop,” ECB said in a statement.
ICC PLANS TO ADD AN ADDITIONAL 50-OVERS WORLD EVENT TO THE NEXT ICC FUTURE TOURS
ICC had proposed to add another world event, apart from the T20 and 50-over World Cups, in its meetings held in October. This would mean its next eight-year cycle (2023 -2031) will have one ICC global event every year—two 50-over World Cups, four T20 World Cups. However, two 50-over tournaments. BCCI and ECB have opposed ICC’s plans as they feel it would eat into their bilateral calendar. Also, which holds significant commercial value
“Australia, England, India, and another top team will feature in the Super Series, which begins in 2021. Also, the first edition of the tournament will be played in India,” Ganguly had said in Kolkata.
Initially, ICC’s move to introduce another tournament had received widespread approval. The ICC member boards promised they would receive extra revenue from ICC’s rights cycle. However, those plans made when BCCI under the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators. Elected representatives took charge towards October end and opposed the plan